Sunday, March 20, 2016

Review: Any Other Girl


Any Other Girl


Any Other Girl by Rebecca Phillips
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


My Review: 

This was a great coming of age contemporary! I previously read Rebecca Phillips' "Faking Perfect" and really liked her writing voice, so I was happy to get a chance to read another book written by her. Any Other Girl was written in much that same fun fresh voice that I loved in Faking Perfect and had the same overall good flow. I loved that it was very realistic and had just the right amount of conflict without being overly angsty. Kat was an easy character for me to understand and although she didn't always make the best choices ( I mean who did at that age? ) I thought she was relatable and dealt with things a lot of girls her age have. I know that she was trying really hard to deny her feelings to save her cousins feelings and to also prove to herself that she could resist flirting with someone else's crush. It was sad though because you could tell that there was definitely good chemistry between her and Emmett and that it just wasn't going to happen for him and Harper. Kat was really sweet trying to get them together to make her cousin happy despite her own desires. I know others have said they didn't like that she was so invested in her looks, but a lot of girls that age are and the fact that she had gotten that way from trying to prove she was feminine despite her being raised by two fathers made me empathize with her. Overall I really enjoyed Any Other Girl and hope to read more of Ms. Phillips writing in the future. I would absolutely recommend this to lovers of realistic YA romantic coming of age novels.


** I received this book from the publisher in exchange for honest review **

http://www.kensingtonbooks.com/book.aspx/32023

Amazon buy link


No comments:

Post a Comment